Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Codex Sinaiticus

How many times have you thought to yourself, if only I could see an original manuscript?  If I only had a nickel...

My daughter came home with a Christian magazine the other day and as I was perusing it I came across the Codex Sinaciticus.  From their website it is "a manuscript of the Christian Bible written in the middle of the fourth century, contains the earliest complete copy of the Christian New Testament."


Now if I could only read Greek... :)

Actually check out John 1:1 and see if you can pick out "logos" (i.e. "Word" in English).

  1. Go to http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/
  2. Click on "See the Manuscript"
  3. Choose John 1:1 as the passage.
  4. Locate "logos" (Hint: look for a repeated string of Greek characters in the Transcription window)
  5. Click on "logos" in the transcription window and it will be outlined in red in the Image window.

No comments:

Post a Comment